Tenant Services



Tenants rent the place where they live. The RTA applies to most residential tenants who live in:

  • a house, apartment, duplex or mobile home
  • a hotel or motel room if rented for more than 6 consecutive months
  • a rooming or boarding house (in most cases)

The RTA does not apply to the following types of tenancies:

  • people who share a landlord’s living quarters as though they were a part of the landlord’s family
  • mobile home sites set out in the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act
  • rental premises that are occupied for business purposes that also have living accommodations attached and both are rented under a single agreement
  • hotels, motels, trailer parks, tourist homes or other vacation accommodations if a person lives there for less than 6 consecutive months
  • rental premises rented to a student by an educational institution unless the student has exclusive possession of self-contained rental premises
  • most nursing homes, supportive living accommodations, government-operated senior lodges and correctional institutions, military bases and First Nations Reserve Lands


All landlords or tenants who have entered into a residential tenancy agreement (verbal or written) can request assistance from the Residential Tenancies Tribunal. Assistance on residential issues is available even when no security deposit has been paid. This assistance service is free.

You may be in a residential tenancy if you are renting a room in a rooming or boarding house, an apartment, a condominium, a house, a mobile home or mobile home site.

Residential tenancy information is also available to the general public and any residential tenancy stakeholders.

This service does not cover commercial tenancies.


The Residential Tenancies Tribunal will assist landlords and tenants with any issue surrounding residential tenancies. The most common issues relate to:

• Security deposit issues
• Failure to pay rent
• Repairs, maintenance and cleanliness issues
• Conduct : Nuisance and disturbance issues
• Health, safety, housing and building standards issues surrounding the premises
• Revision of notices a tenant or a landlord would have received from the other party to the tenancy
• Offenses under the Act possibly committed by the landlord or the tenant
• Eviction of a tenant
• Abandoned chattels: personal belongings left behind by the tenant

  • January 20, 2017